Many people recognize the importance of detoxifying the skin after they see signs of skin damage and premature aging, but preventative detoxifying stops unseen damage before it shows on your skin. Healing the skin before signs of toxicity will create a truly strong, healthy barrier. Keep reading to learn more about preventative skin detoxifying.
what is a preventative skin detox?
Skin detoxification is when you improve and optimize the function of your skin's naturally detoxifying systems. The skin has four ways of detoxifying itself: via sweat glands, the circulatory system, the lymphatic system and through breakouts – and there are easy measures you can take to aid these detoxification processes.
It is crucial to detoxify skin before you see age and damage signs. Once your skin starts to show signs of toxicity – dullness, lines, wrinkles, congestion, sagging skin, breakouts, redness and irritation to name a few – then the skin is weak, and less able to absorb and respond to treatment.
“Detoxifying your skin should be part of our weekly at home health care for the largest organ of your body," says Teresa Stenzel, Bioelements. "High performance skin care ingredients help rev up the skin’s microcirculation, lymphatic system, hydration levels and strengthen the skin’s ability to ward off and repair damage to the skin should start before damage is visibly – preferably while you are young!"
why you need to detoxify your skin
Everyone needs to detox regularly, as we are all exposed to daily pollution, free radicals and more. However, if you work in an environment where pollution levels are higher, then it is twice as important. Careers that include flight attendants, hair stylists, cooks, hospital employees and the like will absolutely benefit from a skin detox.
- pollution: One of the most obvious factors in skin toxicity, pollution exposes us to dirt, smog, toxic gases, and skin aging free radicals that are absorbed into the skin.
- poor nutrition: Unfortunately, a diet high in sugar, sodium, trans fats, and processed foods creates a toxic environment for your skin.
- climate: Almost any climate can contribute to skin toxicity, whether it's extreme heat, cold, wind, lack of humidity, etc.
- dermal collagen decrease: This naturally occurs as you age and leads to moisture loss and dermal thinning, which leaves you vulnerable.
- stress: Stress can wreak havoc on the body due to the increase of the stress hormone, cortisol. This affects sebum production, microcirculation, and hydration levels.
- decrease of sebaceous glands: Another factor caused by chronological aging, this hinders proper skin barrier function.
- medication: Medications can increase sensitivity, cause dehydration, and weaken the skin's immune system.
- lifestyle habits: Poor skin care habits, lack of sleep, UV exposure, and smoking all contribute to toxicity. Even if you don't smoke you're probably exposed to second hand smoke more than you realize.
signs you need a skin detox
Don’t think your skin needs a detox? Often, the most common skin complaints skin therapists hear can be traced back to a single cause: skin toxicity. When you don’t regularly detoxify the skin, these symptoms can crop up:
- Irregular pigmentation, such as brown pigmented spots and uneven skin tone
- Dry skin
- Clogged pores
- Visible capillaries
- Skin sensitivity
- Fine lines
- Deep wrinkles
how to detoxify at the spa
To help your skin detox, there are specific professional skin care formulas and techniques that should be utilized. Professional facials often include these elements, so receiving regular facials is a crucial step in skin detoxification.
Steam is used near the beginning of the facial to cause capillary dilation and increase blood flow to move toxins.
Exfoliation is also used in this facial to begin the detoxification process by stimulating the skin and removing excess dead skin cells that would hinder product penetration later on during the key detoxification steps in this treatment.
The VitaMineral Deep Detox Facial also helps detoxify the skin. Massage is a critical component of any professional facial, and the VitaMineral Deep Detox Facial is no different. Massage for skin in need of detoxification is important, because it de-stresses the tissues, improves your circulatory system, and moves toxins out of the body via the lymphatic system.
The Advanced VitaMineral Deep Detox Mask used in this treatment filters out toxins with activated coconut charcoal, which is derived from the ash of a burnt coconut shell. It penetrates into the tissues and begins to detoxify and stimulate circulation to draw impurities and heavy metals out of the skin.
The antioxidants also found in this mask neutralize free radicals before they can cause premature aging. It also targets aging skin, smoker's skin, and environmentally stressed skin.